Monday 1 November 2010

November in the garden

After a rainy weekend we went to the garden and found the broad beans sprouting through the damp earth, although there’s no sign of the mangetout peas yet. While I picked some peppers, which are still growing but not ripening, Lo Jardinièr dug up some more of the tomato plants, leaving just the Roma plants, which are still producing fruit.

Some autumnal images:

IMGP2421 Arbutus berries and flowers - both appear on the tree at the same time.
IMGP2445
Two Lucque olives fallen from the tree during heavy rain. They’re a good size this year.
IMGP2428
Green, ripening and ripe olives on the same branch.
IMGP2432 Some more ripening olives.
IMGP2443
Butternut squash.
IMGP2449 Two pumpkins, one ripe, one still green.
IMGP2499 The artichoke plants are recovering from the dry summer.
IMGP2456
Red cabbages are doing well, although the leeks we planted at the same time aren’t.
IMGP2461 Rosemary still flowering. IMGP2467
A rose bud about to open.
IMGP2470
A snail on an olive leaf next to a dead sunflower head.
IMGP2477
Rose hips on a wild rose bush.
IMGP2489 Wild honeysuckle. IMGP2511
Cardinale vine leaf.

8 comments:

Diane said...

Great photos with beautiful colours. Diane

Jan said...

I'm glad you've named the Arbutus. Those berries are so lovely, just like Christmas decorations!

Heiko said...

I'm planning to make a Christmas jam with my Arbutus berries, or as they are also called Killarney Strawberry, combined with myrtle berries and spices. Must be possible to get them to taste of something!

chaiselongue said...

@Jan: yes, the arbutus berries do look lovely, when I was a child in North Africa I used to think the trees looked like decorated Xmas trees.

@Heiko: I'll be interested to hear how the jam turns out. The berries are very pretty, but they don't taste as good as they look, do they?

Weeping Sore said...

The best part of a Medeterranian garden is that there is always something ready to eat! The colors in your post are so appealing. I don't even like olives, but you might persuade me to give them another try.

easygardener said...

I ahve seen Arbutus in variouss gardens and am surprised every time by the flowers and fruits being in the tree together. As you say the fruits look like decorations.

Lisa said...

Are the arbutus edible? We have them in the courtyard at work, and it never occurred to me to try eating them.

I've got a couple of those pumpkins, and I'm hunting for recipes!

beste said...

nice photos:) but i loved olives which i do not have them here. Bon apétit:)