Friday 13 August 2010

It’s good to be home

DSC05631



We’re home again after three weeks away. We’d planned just a one-week break but had to leave unexpectedly a fortnight earlier because of a sudden death in the family, so after a sad time it’s very cheering to come home to a wonderful harvest of aubergines, peppers and tomatoes, thanks to our neighbour who watered the garden for us. We’ve got a busy weekend ahead now making tomato puree to store for the winter because the Roma tomatoes are just waiting to be picked.





DSC05626 DSC05629 DSC05640

and two delicious salads

DSC05644 DSC05646-1

A Greek salad, left, made with cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onions from the garden and feta cheese and black olives. On the right, tomato, Red Marconi pepper and basil salad.

6 comments:

Stefaneener said...

I had a trip like that this summer. The garden was a very nice thing to get back to. I'm so glad you're home -- thank goodness for good neighbors.

Jan said...

Glad you're back safely, and I bet it's so lovely to get back to bowls of salad. I really missed those lunches when I was in the UK.

Diane said...

We also have great neighbours, I sometimes wonder what I would do without mine! I am making masses of Ratatouille with the surplus tomatoes, peppers and Aubergines. I have to add that this year there are a few beans going into it as well:-)

Would you like some plums? Four trees laden are starting to get the better of me.

Great blog, I will be back. Diane

Yvonne said...

Your photos of the seaside in Wales in summer took me straight back to my childhood holidays ... I can just see, smell and hear the sea front. I was not unhappy there but I so much prefer my life here now. Sorry to hear of your bereavement - it is the most frequent reason for our going back to UK and always a sad experience on many fronts. But welcome back to the glorious harvest and richness in your garden!
Y

Laura Z said...

Now I'm going to have to make a Greek salad too!

Glad I found your blog. We have similar climates except I'm in southern California.

Rosie said...

Your food looks fantastic!