Saturday 8 August 2009

August harvest and preserving tomatoes / La récolte d’août et conserver les tomates

DSC07888 DSC07890

Yesterday’s harvest. The Borlotti beans are infested with some kind of grub and we had to throw away about a third of them. I cooked the good ones and put them into a tomato sauce which we’ll eat cold as a salad tomorrow. I’ve made the Roma tomatoes into tomato purée, using the method I used last year. It saves space on the shelves since two big trays of chopped tomatoes were reduced down to five jars.

Le récolte d’hier. Les haricots Borlotti ont une sorte de larve dedans et on a dû en jéter un tiers. Je les ai cuits et les ai mis dans une sauce tomate pour manger fraiche comme une salade demain. J’ai fait de la purée de tomate avec les Romas, la mème recette de l’année dernière.

DSC07953

I made chutney with the courgettes, using a recipe from MaryAthenes’ blog, which you can eat with meat or cheese like a vegetable. I just cut the courgette and onion into pieces, added spices – cinnamon and paprika – and sugar and a jar of last year's tomato passata, covered with red wine vinegar and simmered it for about an hour, then put it into sterilised jars. I made a similar chutney using the aubergines.

J’ai fait du chutney en utilisant la recette du blog de MaryAthenes, qu'on peut manger comme un légume avec de la viande ou du fromage. J’ai fait un chutney pareil avec les aubergines.

Chillies / Piments rouges

DSC07928 DSC07940

The red chillies are hanging in the sun to dry. / Les piments rouges sont suspendus pour secher au soleil.

Mussels again / Les moules encore

Tonight we had mussels with Roquefort cheese. We cooked them as usual in a little white wine with some sprigs of thyme and savory, then added chopped Roquefort, some chopped garlic and crème fraiche. They were very good. I had red wine from Roquessels with them, Lo Jardinièr had rosé wine from Gabian.

Ce soir nous avons mangé des moules au Roquefort. Nous les avons cuites comme d’habitude avec un peu de vin blanc et des brins de thym et de sariette. Puis nous avons ajouté du Roquefort coupé en petits morceaux, de l’ail haché et de la crème fraiche. C’était très bon.

DSC07958

For dessert, the melon in the photo above, with a glass of muscat wine. / Pour dessert, le melon dans le photo dessus, accompagné d’un verre de vin de muscat.

The Guardian environment blog has returned to the question I linked to last week, of whether organic food is nutritionally better than non-organic. After this evening’s supper I am even more convinced than ever that locally grown and produced, sustainable food tastes better and that, as well as the effect of what I eat on the environment, is what matters to me. No food which was full of pesticides and had been transported around the world could ever taste as good as these local mussels, local cheese, local wine and fruit we grew in our garden.

5 comments:

Stefaneener said...

It sounds so lovely. I'm excited about the olive preserving you referenced last year, as I'd like to try to brine some this December. I'll be checking back.

Even if you believed that food grown in rich soil, picked minutes before you ate it, was the nutritional equivalent of something picked green and gassed as it was flown/shipped to you, why on earth would you choose that well-traveled flavor over the delights of real ripe food? I'll never get it.

Michelle said...

Oh my! What a lovely harvest. I agree, the closer to home the food comes from the better it tastes. There is really nothing like vegetables fresh from the garden. I do feel lucky to have the space and time to devote to a garden.

Jan said...

Tomato puree recipe... that's just what I logged on to search for, only I got sidetracked and found it anyway!

easygardener said...

The courgette chutney looks easy - I am losing the battle with courgettes despite my best efforts. I'll try the tomato puree recipe too. A glut of them is much easier to cope with!

MaryAthenes said...

Belle recolte !
Contente que vous ayez goute le chutney !
Bises